Monday, March 18, 2013

Milestone One: Down Twenty Pounds


I promised a post last week with my current weight loss photos forgetting that I was going out of town to a reading conference, so here I am this week with my promised post.

The photos are not that dramatic yet, but I can see the changes in my body. Recently, I read somewhere that it takes three times as long for others to see the change as it does for you, so if you get discouraged because no one notices, keep going. You are making a difference in yourself and your health.


Since January 1st, 2013, I have lost exactly:

  • Twenty pounds (28 since I had Nathan)
  • Nine inches from my waist
  • Four inches from my hips
  • Four inches of the "baby belly


January 1st - 224.6 lbs
March 13 - 204.6 lbs.


January 1 - 224.6 lbs.
March 13 - 204.6 lbs (Not sure why I am making that face!)
I don't know if you can see the difference; I can. My belt is getting too big, and I had to do away with a pair of my pants that was falling off because I lost weight.

What I do know is that I have a long way to go. My goal is to get down to at least 150 which is smack in the middle of my healthy weight. However, more than that, my goal is to become healthy.

Right now, I am losing weight loosely following the South Beach Diet. The South Beach Diet consists of three phases.

  • Phase One - Lean proteins, limited dairy, healthy fats and vegetables. (All fruits and grains are avoided.
  • Phase Two-  Same as phase one with the addition of limited fruits and whole grains only. Basically, you gradually add fruits and whole grains back into your diet, and if you find you stop losing weight, you eat less of them per day.
  • Phase Three - Maintenance - You can eat anything in moderation. Most of the time, you follow the guidelines in phase two, but occasionally, you can have a treat and eat whatever you want.
I followed phase one for two weeks and lost a lot of water weight. By the end of January, I was down twelve pounds. In February, I switched over to phase two, and I lost 5.2 lbs. I will say that I did not follow the diet completely or strictly, or I probably would have lost much more. Most of the time, I did stay on track however, and I was happy with a little over a pound per week. 

Here are some things I have learned. 

Track everything you put in your mouth. I use My Fitness Pal which is a free website and/or app. It is easy to track because the food you are looking for is always there; someone who is on the site has entered it. Additionally, your friends can join with you and hold you accountable. I have my diary public to my friends, and it keeps me on track. Best of all, it is free. 

You need to eat healthy foods. I lost seventy pounds a few years ago and did a portion of it with the help of a major weight loss program. Although I know they have changed a bit, at the time, leaders told us to eat whatever we wanted. We could even use our day's allotment on a sleeve of Girl Scout cookies if we desired. Well, I lost for a while, and then it stalled! 

Even though you eat healthy foods, allow yourself a cheat meal. Follow your program (and stick to it) to a T for most days, and plan a cheat meal once a week. I love going to Meathead's with my husband for a patty melt and cajun fries, and I don't beat myself up over it because I know that I ate healthy the entire week, and I am eating healthy tomorrow.

Find creative ways of treating yourself. My favorite thing to do is add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and dried cherries with stevia or splenda to a cup of Greek yogurt. I top it off with a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips and voila! I have dessert! I have a sweet tooth, so this has really saved me from myself.

Measure yourself. I never used to do it, but it encourages me to see nine inches off of my waist when I've only lost five pounds that month. They make special measuring tapes that make this an easy job.

Whatever else you do, keep on. Don't get discouraged! Last week was not good; as I said, I went to a conference last week, and we at most of our meals at banquets where I had no choices. The best I could do was pull the bread out of my bun and take the bacon off of my sandwich. It's okay. I'm back on track this week. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. 

You will get there! 



2 comments:

  1. Way to go Emily! I can see a big difference between the two sets of photos! It must be encouraging to you to see what the difference from just 20 pounds. :)

    ReplyDelete